Uvile Memory Samkelisiwe Ximba is a writer and creator. She completed her Bachelor of Arts Honours in Politics and International Relations and Dramatic Arts. Her research interest lies in issues affecting black LGBTQIA+ women in South Africa; her Honours thesis was on creative approaches as dialogue for LGBTQIA+ Intimate Partner Violence.
Her debut novel, Dreaming In Colour tells the story of Langa, a young woman navigating relationships, self, and memory. It is Langa’s story of coming out to herself, of discerning the history behind the closed door of conscious memory.
When it comes to her creativity, she prioritises interdisciplinary praxis and her stance is, “Why wait?” In another life, Uvile was a cat.
Creative History Summary
- Co-directed, co-wrote, and performed in Thunzi at the National Arts Festival Fringe.
- Performed in the ensemble for The Wonderful World Of Fokspark at the National Arts Festival. Directed by Jake Nathane.
- One of two first years selected to perform in the Rhodes University annual first-year production.
- Performed in several productions in the Rhodes University Drama Department.
- Performed in Welcome To The Zoo, Directed by Jake Nathane for the #RUReferencelist protests.
- Courses: Economics, Politics, Philosophy, Drama
- Performed in The Cult Of The Clitoris, Rhodes University’s selected student piece for the National Arts Festival.
- Performed in Welcome To The Zoo at the National Arts Festival. Won the festival’s Standard Bank Ovation Award.
- Stage Manager for The Swimming Pool directed by Mlondiwethu Dubazane.
- Wrote Dreaming In Colour
- Initiated and co-ordinated the second year showcase at the drama department. Directed my own piece for the showcase.
- Co-creator, performer, and production manager for MEQOQO Playback Theatre Collective.
- Courses: Philosophy, Drama, Politics, Economics, Iintetho Zobom
- Stage Manager for Dumela Mosadi.
- Selected for the Decolonial Aesthesis Lab, a creative practice and praxis lab at the Rhodes University Fine Arts Department.
- Theatre specializations: stage management and directing.
- Props Manager for the Rhodes Drama Department
- Directed Umbhhubhudlo/Indubela for the 2018 African Feminisms Conference.
- Courses: Drama, Economics, Political & International Studies, Instrumental Music Classical Voice
- Stage Manager for Dumela Mosadi.
- Courses: Political & International Studies, Drama
- My joint honours thesis- Beyond the rainbow: creative approaches as dialogue for LGBTQIA+ intimate partner violence (published in the Journal Of Contemporary African Studies)
- Communications intern: Sonke Gender Justice
- Started Copywriting
- In & Out (South African Writers’ College Short Story Competition Honourable Mention)
- Blue Days (Selected for the ASSITEJ ‘In The Works’ programme & festival)
- Copywriting for Accelerate Agency (UK) and Contentellect (SA & UK). Promoted to Account Manager at Contentellect.
- Dreaming In Colour, written 2017 and published 2021 (Modjaji Books). Funded by the NIHSS
- Stage manager and vocal performer for Descent. Directed by Jake Nathane for the Market Laboratory’s Barney Simon Residency
- Script development funding for the NFVF (Mvura)
- A Ndumbe Meeting (Afritondo Short Story Prize Shortlist; Anthology: Rain Dance)
- Dreaming In Colour longlisted for the Sunday Times Literary Award for Fiction
- Commissioned as a curator for the Johannesburg Goethe Institut Power Talks. Directed and curated four performances, including my own, The Life & Death Of An Orange, at the Windybrow Arts Center.
- Stage manager for Signs, a production on GBV showing in November 2022.